Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Myanmar II

This is my second posting today.

I mentioned a lot of things earlier, but I was in this crazed state trying to resolve the (still unresolved) money situation. Here are a few more quick and dirty things about Myanmar.

The food. It is freaking fantastic and I can generally eat three meals and have tea for around a dollar. Sometimes I splurge and spend one dollar on one meal. If I do that I leave holding my stomach, feeling fat and happy!

The conversations. As I mentioned before everyone is super friendly. While it is quite common for me to get invited to join locals for a meal I certainly have not been invited to everyday. That is until I arrived here. I have met so many great people and have had some really good conversations. I am reluctant to discuss what people have been sharing with me while I am still in the country so that will have to wait. I will say that everyone is pretty candid and honest about their feelings. The events of last year have come up in numerous conversations over the past three days. I am struggling to try to understand everything. What is my role here? I will certainly not be getting involved in the local politics (A French man was detained at my hotel this morning when I arrived. It is not clear exactly what happened, but there were several officers there and the hotel staff was certainly shaken up. He was taken away and no one is exactly certain what happened to him.) though I feel frustrated that there is nothing more I can do other than listen to people who want to talk.

The men all wear sarongs. It is pretty cool. I want one.

OK, that's all for now. This country is shaping up to be the granddaddy of all adventures. Now hopefully I can figure out how to make my money last. I did spend about an hour with a bottle of super glue and a needle gluing together all the little cracks on my bills. I will try to pull off using this money tomorrow. Cross your finger for me!

No comments: