Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I Don't Want To Go On A Rant Here, But..

First, anyone who gets the humor in the title you rock! Call it an homage to my misspent youth.

Now it is time to rant. ARGH!!! My six day trek has been cancelled thanks to Hurricane Felix. This is the second category five hurricane this year. I understand that this is the first time that there have been two category five storms in the same year, and think, they have been within two weeks of each other. Does anyone else think there are some fucked up (Yes I'm still swearing, no I'm not stopping. I find it a very effective way to communicate emotion.) things going on with the weather lately? I know some of you are going to say this is because of global warming. I just have one thing to say to you crazy folks who think that all the horrible floods, hurricanes, blizzards, etc. are caused by global warming. Come on, huh?!?! Come on?!?! Fa get about it. Actually I'm quite alarmed. I don't have a solution to this problem, but if occurences like this are not opening peoples eyes to what is going on, what will? OK I really don't have much else to say, so let me wrap this up with a few bulleted points.



- Global warming is fucking up my trip. This makes me angry.



- If we do not start taking drastic action our species might not be around for much longer.



- If you want to learn how you can help go to http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/ To be honest, I think that this is a drop in the bucket so to speak, and if we do not radically change our lifestyles and our wonderful dependence on oil NOW we are screwed.

Well if that was not a rant I don't know what is. Looking back on what I just wrote I'm not sure if I come off sounding angry, but uneducated on the matter, or just plain sensible. Take the bus or walk tomorrow people. One of the best things about Guatemala is that we can cram 125 people on a bus. Try it OK, you might actually enjoy it. I know I do!

The storm is supposed to hit Guatemala city tomorrow night, and we are already getting a hell of a lot of rain. I am stocking up on books and wine tonight and bunkering down in my room for the next day or two. Wish me luck...

No comments: