Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hmmm

Disclaimer: Skip the first paragraph if you don't want to read about bowel movements.

So I am going to try to keep this short, as I am having a pretty bad bout of travelers diarrhea, which has waylaid me in Lanquin for an extra day at least. I guess on the plus side if you are going to be stuck somewhere and emptying your bowels every five minutes this is the place to be.

I'm not really sure how to start a post like this so let me just try to come out and say it. Traveling is really lonely. I am definitely having a good time, but as I was laying by myself under an amazing sky last night marveling at where I was, the thought that I was completely alone hit me like a freight train. It is interesting that I have met so many great people and am having fun exploring Guatemalan culture, talking to the locals, hanging out with travelers, playing volleyball, hiking, swimming, drinking beers, and discussing life yet can still feel such a sense of complete isolation. Looking at that sky last night (and it really was one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen) I felt as though I was the only person on this earth. Not really sure where this rambling is headed, just wanted to share what is one of the weirdest sensations I have ever felt. It may come across a purely negative by the way I just described it, but I assure you it was not. There was a weird mix of sorrow and joy filling every cell of my body as the 'aloneness' washed over me. Very intense experience.

OK so now that you all know that it took less than two weeks for me to lose my mind, I need to head back to the bathroom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

August,

Your posts are great.

Your frame of mind seems very interesting.

Ciao,

Dad

Anonymous said...

August,

P.S. To last post...

I'm working on software quality control with some regression analysis routines. Do you miss this? Want to trade places?

Ciao,

Dad